Well here it is. The end of the year. Seriously, where did 2011 go?
This has been such a great year for me. I've shot more weddings than I've ever done in a summer (and booked several more for next year), established myself on Twitter and LinkedIn, transitioned into a full-time role as the Black Dog Freehouse's poster & ad designer, picked up several other exciting new clients, and tried my hand at interior & real estate photography as a contractor with MyVisualListings.com. When I quit my job in September of 2010 and decided to embark on the scary path of entrepreneurship, I never knew my first full year would go this well. Thank you to my clients, friends, family and everyone who's supported this small business in 2011, and I look forward to your continued support in 2012!
Here's a quick recap of some of the things I got up to in these last weeks of 2011:
- At the end of November I got to shoot the 4th annual Italia with Gusto wine & food festival at the Italian Cultural Centre. You can view the gallery here.
- For the second year in a row I also got to shoot the Astral Media Christmas Party (and saw Paul Brown's rear end a few more times than I wanted to). It was at the River Cree Casino, which may be my new favourite event venue!
- I've continued to design eye-catching materials for the Alberta Liberal Party, and there is a rumour that I may be picking up another candidate as a client early next year...
- Just over a week ago I had the opportunity to photograph my first "giant cheque" presentation, a heart-warming display of goodwill by the ABCRC, Merlin Plastics and students of St. Brendan Elementary to the Rainbow Society of Alberta.
- Using my new 50mm f/1.4 lens for the first time, I photographed local band Thea vs. Loki at the Black Dog Freehouse's annual Ho Ho Ho Down on December 14. It was a head-swirling combination of low light and colored light, but the new lens performed admirably. Here's a small sampling of the photos I shot that night: